About Fairford and District Choral Society
There has been a choral society based in Fairford for many years. Archive photographs go back to 1948.
The society was conducted by John Henderson, Tony Frewer and Julia Morris for a number of years and disbanded in the 70s.
Later in the 90s St Mary’s Church,
Fairford started to hold concerts of sacred music on Palm Sunday drawing people from Fairford and the surrounding area.
Works sung included the Fauré, Rutter and Mozart Requiems, the Somervell Passion, Stainer’s Crucifixion, Schubert and Haydn Masses and Messiah.
The Fairford and District Choral Society 1948
Conductor, Marysia Gorska
The conductor from 2006 until the end of 2015 was John Read. His successor from January 2016 is Marysia Gorska,
who has prestigious music qualifications from her native Poland, and is a graduate of the conducting course at the Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama, where she studied under our President, Adrian Partington.
Our aim is to perform choral music of many different types from the 15th Century to the 21st, to as high a standard as possible.
To help us in this we engage soloists and accompanists who are professionals singing and playing in some of the finest choirs in Britain.
Our aim is not only to encourage high standards but to be a welcoming and friendly society. We shall be developing an active social programme
with this in mind.
The Society is a registered Charity number 1118754.
Our logo was kindly designed by Jake Sutton.